Bookmark This Page

HomeHome SitemapSitemap Contact usContacts

Printable 1099 Tax Form

By Richard Chapo

If you earned revenues as an independent contractor in 2005, you should have received a 1099 Form for the work. So, what if you havenít received one?

What To Do If You Didnít Get a Form 1099

If you earned over $600 from one person or company as an independent contractor in 2005, that company or person is supposed to issue you a 1099-MISC form. The form is applicable to revenues, rents, royalties and other categories of income beyond the scope of this article. In issuing you a 1099-MISC, the business or company is also supposed to send a duplicate of the form to the IRS. This allows the IRS to keep a tab on how much money you earned in 2005. Lucky you.

1099-MISC Forms are supposed to be issued to independent contractors by January 31, 2005. Businesses, particularly small businesses, are famous for failing to get the forms out on time. They have to be filed with the IRS by the end of February, so businesses often send them out at that time. If you havenít received a 1099 by the first week or so of March, it is time to take action.

The first step to resolving the problem is to call the business or person and ask about it. Some arenít even aware they are supposed to issue the forms and file them with the IRS. They are focused on their businesses, not tax documents. Giving them a heads up will almost always take care of the problem.

1099-MISC forms are not filed with your tax return. They are information forms only, so failing to receive one is hardly the end of the world. You should already know how much revenue you earned in 2005. A 1099 form doesnít really help you figure taxes. It just keeps the IRS informed. If you donít receive a 1099, you can determine your revenues by totaling invoices for the client or reviewing bank account statements.

If you donít receive a 1099 form, it does not mean you can forgo reporting the revenue on your tax return. If you take this course of action, you run the risk of being audited and charged with tax evasion by the IRS. It isnít remotely worth the risk.

About the Author: Richard A. Chapo is with the tax site - - providing information on taxes. Visit to read more business tax articles.